Lake Baikal Vs Great Lakes
African great lakes 32 900 km 2 12 700 sq mi 18 900 km 3 4 500 cu mi fresh superior canada united states.
Lake baikal vs great lakes. The region s most dominant native tribe the ojibwe named the lake as gitchi gami which translates to the great sea description. The area of some lakes can vary considerably over time either seasonally or from year to year. Its catchment area contains substantial biodiversity with more than half of its species being endemic garmaeva 2001. Lake baikal is the largest freshwater lake by volume in the world containing 22 23 of the world s fresh surface water.
Its length is 193 statute miles while its width is 53 statute miles. Lake baikal is the world s largest freshwater lake in terms of volume. Lake baikal in southern siberia in russia is a rift lake formed 25 30 million years ago and is the world s deepest lake holding 20 of the world s fresh water. With 23 615 39 km 3 5 670 cu mi of fresh water it contains more water than the north american great lakes combined.
Area of the great lakes 244 106 km 2 151 680 mi 2 area of lake baikal 31 722 km 2 19 711 mi 2 volume of the great lakes 22 671 km 3 5 439 mi 3 volume of lake baikal 23 615 km 3 5 700 mi 3. The lake is mutually shared by the states of minnesota and the state of wisconsin in the us and the province of ontario in canada. This is especially true of salt lakes in arid climates. With a maximum depth of 1 642 m 5 387 ft baikal is the world s deepest lake.
It has the lowest elevation of the great lakes at 243 feet above the sea level. This is a volume of water approximately equivalent to all five of the north american great lakes combined. The lake covers an area of 7 340 square miles and holds 393 cubic miles. The lake is the outlet of the great lakes chains and connects to the atlantic ocean through saint lawrence river.
It is likely that a series of lakes similar to the great lakes developed first and then united in the pliocene epoch 5 3 to 2 58 million years ago according to baikal world web. Lake superior is both the western most and northern most of the great lakes. This list excludes seasonal lakes such as lake eyre max area 9500 km mar chiquita lake córdoba max area 6000 km lake torrens max area 5745 km and great salt lake max area 4400 km. This list contains all lakes whose maximum depth is reliably known to exceed 400 metres 1 300 ft geologically the caspian sea like the black and mediterranean seas is a remnant of the ancient tethys ocean the deepest area is oceanic rather than continental crust.
North american great lakes 82 100 km 2 31 700 sq mi 11 600 km 3 2 800 cu mi fresh malawi. Lake baikal global great lakes.
- Sheraton Vistana Lake Buena Vista
- Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Resort Reviews
- Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Resort To Disney World
- Weather For Lake Barkley Kentucky
- Staybridge Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista
- Weather At Lake Barkley Kentucky
- What To Do At Lake Hope State Park
- Ten Acre Lake Choctaw Ok
- Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Pet Policy
- Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Resort
- Weather Lake Arrowhead Ca Hourly
- Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
- Weather In Lake Berryessa Tomorrow
- Salt Lake County Marriage License Office
- State Dock Marina Lake Cumberland
- White Pine Lake Logan Utah Weather
- Santa S Village Lake Arrowhead Weather
- Salt Lake County Marriage License Application
- Self Catering Lake District Cottages
- Square Lake Lodge Alma Nb